We all know that in marketing it is getting harder to deliver good results as years go by. Difficult at both a strategic and a tactical level. Our audiences have become de-sensitised to our advertising, our sponsorship, our emails and our letters.
People are also spending a higher proportion of their time on social media platforms. But for some reason we haven’t jumped from “traditional” to “social” with our marketing.
Here are some reasons why you should move your marketing to social and quickly:
- Your competitors aren’t there yet. But they too are paralysed by fear in the same way that you are. If they manage to get a social presence, refine it to the point where it is actually effective for them and begin to engage people it could be game over. They could be laughing and joking with YOUR clients, getting to know them, becoming “friends” with them. If this doesn’t worry you, ask yourself this, “if your best client went away for a two week holiday with your biggest competitor would you be concerned?” We all know the answer is “yes” so why would you run the risk of this happening?
- It takes so long to get an ROI with social doesn’t it? No, it doesn’t. The results can be pretty instantaneous in some cases. We have a client who spent £x on a 12-week social selling programme with us. By week three, they were forecasting 140x ROI in additional incremental business. I grant you, that is the exception, but often the payback time is incredibly short.
- Your marketing, doesn’t deliver the ROI that it used to. The problem with this is that it’s like the frog in the saucepan. By the time you realise the water’s too hot, you can’t get out. With your campaigns having a lower and lower yield this translates in to more and more of your allocated budget being spent to maintain the status quo rather than grow the business. Start to develop your social presence now whilst you still can.
- Social isn’t getting bigger, in fact people are closing their Facebook accounts. People are indeed closing their Facebook accounts, but at a slower rate than people are signing-up. Facebook (for example) has over 2 billion subscribers and the year before last they passed the milestone of 1bn people signing in on a single day. Now this happens EVERY SINGLE DAY. As an aside, the total number of social media accounts grew by 21% between January ’16 and January ’17. Social is growing at an accelerating rate and you need to be there and, at the very least, have a presence.
- In our experience, a successful social presence can give a huge increase in sales effectiveness, can drive web traffic at a fraction of the rate of PPC, banner and other referral methods, can (through content strategy) effectively replace advertising and leave a permanent footprint behind.
So, in 2017, social is the biggest game in town and you need to consider less the ROI (return on investment) and more the COI (cost of ignoring).
Digital Leadership Associates: We are a Social Media Agency. We do three things: Social Media Strategy, Social Selling and Social Media Management. Drop us an email and let’s talk about how we can make an impact on your organisation.